There are so many women who need medical treatments and various medical processes to get pregnant. This type of treatment is called fertility treatment.
It may be because one of the partners faces some issues or the woman can’t conceive because of some issues.
In the United States, around 10 percent trusted Source of women aged 15 to 44 years are estimated to have difficulty conceiving or staying pregnant. Worldwide, 8 to 12 percent of couples experience fertility problems. Between 45 and 50 percent of Trusted Source cases are thought to stem from factors that affect the man.
But there are so many fertility treatments available that can bring hope and happiness to the couple who wants to have a baby.
Fertility treatment process
People across the world face various kinds of fertility issues, but there are lots of medical treatments to treat those issues. Fertility treatment depends on several causes – your age, how long you have been infertile and personal preferences. As infertility is a complex disorder, treatment involves significant financial, physical, psychological and all time commitments.
Most of the time fertility treatment includes medication that helps with hormones and ovulation. Fertility drugs are primarily used as a treatment for women who are infertile due to ovulation disorders.
Although using fertility drugs carry some risks also, Such as:
- Pregnancy with multiples: Oral medications carry a fairly low risk of multiples (less than 10%) and mostly a risk of twins. Your chances increase up to 30% with injectable medications. Injectable fertility medications also carry the major risk of triplets or more.
- Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS): Injecting fertility drugs to induce ovulation can cause OHSS, which is rare. Signs and symptoms, which include swollen and painful ovaries, usually go away without treatment, and include mild abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
But such issues can be dealt with with proper medication and treatment. So you don’t need to panic.
The two most common fertility treatment includes
- IUI – Intrauterine Insemination: In this process after collecting the healthy sperm that is inserted into your uterus when you are on your ovulation period.
- IVF – In Vitro Fertilization: In this process, the doctor takes out the eggs from your ovaries and then those eggs are fertilized by the sperm in a lab where they develop into embryos. Later on, the doctor puts the embryos into your uterus.
What are the different types of male infertility treatments?
There are various ways to treat infertility in men. Generally, infertility in men is related to issues such as effective production of sperm, the shape of the sperm, sperm count, or the number of sperm and movement of the sperm, and the transport of the sperm through the tubes of the male reproductive system
- Surgery: For example, a varicocele can often be surgically corrected or an obstructed vas deferens repaired. Prior vasectomies can be reversed. In cases where no sperm are present in the ejaculate, sperm can often be retrieved directly from the testicles or epididymis using sperm retrieval techniques.
- Treating infections: Antibiotic treatment might cure an infection of the reproductive tract but doesn’t always restore fertility.
- Treatments for sexual intercourse problems: Medication or counselling can help improve fertility in conditions such as erectile dysfunction or premature ejaculation.
Some of the hormone treatments and Medications:
You may be recommended by your doctor for some hormone treatments or your doctor might prescribe you some useful medicines to recover such problems.
- Assisted reproductive technology (ART): ART treatments involve obtaining sperm through normal ejaculation, surgical extraction or donor individuals, depending on your specific case and wishes. The sperm is then inserted into the female genital tract or used to perform in vitro fertilization or intracytoplasmic sperm injection.
what are the different types of female infertility treatments?
Sometimes several types of treatment are needed to help address female infertility.
Although sometimes doctor suggests surgery. In some cases, these problems can be cured by hormonal treatments and with proper medication. But surgery can treat infertility by:
- Correcting an abnormally shaped uterus
- unblocking fallopian tubes
- removing fibroid
Reproductive assistance can involve methods such as intrauterine insemination (IUI) and Assisted Reproductive Technology.
IVF is one type of Assisted Reproductive Technology and involves the removal of eggs that are then fertilized with a man’s sperm in a laboratory. After fertilization, the embryo is placed back into the uterus. The medications that can be used to treat female infertility work by correcting the level of hormones that are naturally present in the body to either encourage or regulate ovulation.
Fertility treatment cost
The cost of fertility treatment is still a significant concern for many couples struggling with infertility. Infertility and IVF insurance coverage are not common and a lot of variations are seen in what is covered and what is left for the patient to pay. The average cost of IVF treatment is between 2.5 lakhs to 4 lakhs. And the minimum cost of IVF treatment in our country is 70000 rs. There will be some additional medicines and tests which will further increase the cost. General infertility treatments such as ovarian stimulation plus intrauterine insemination are significantly less expensive than in vitro fertilization.
Though fertility treatments are costly still we should thank the technology. Because of these medical processes, you can have a baby even after having some complications. But first of all one should talk to a doctor or gynaecologist who will help to figure out which treatment will be suitable. Because everyone has different types of issues related to infertility.