Have you also heard about the rise in the trend of aromatherapy and essential oils? Do you want to try essential oils but do not know anything about them? Do you also want to know what aromatherapy oils are good for?
Keep reading to get detailed information regarding old and aromatherapy.
What is Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is a holistic healing treatment that uses extracts of natural plants to promote the well-being and health of a human being. Because aromatherapy uses aromatic potential oils, it is also known as essential oil therapy. In this treatment, essential oils are used to medicinally improve the health of an individual at the physical, mental and spiritual levels. Note that we are not just talking about the physical health of an individual but also the emotional health benefits of aromatherapy.
Many people consider aromatherapy as a combination of art, nature and science. This treatment has been around for the past thousand years but it got popularised in recent times in the field of medicine and science technology.
Antique civilizations in China, India, Egypt, and other places combined aromatic plant elements in resins, lotions, ointments and oils. These natural elements were utilized for medical and spiritual intentions. They were recognized to have both bodily and psychological benefits.
There is one question that comes to everyone’s mind before going to use anything, that is is it safe? so let us check whether essential oils aromatherapy is safe or not?
Aromatherapy continues to grow its roots in the market and thus questions about its safety also grow. Most users do not know about the safety risk when they are using essential oil.
Whether essential oil is safe for you or not depends on several factors which usually include
- Your age
- Health conditions
- Other usages of medicines and supplements
- Quality of oil
- Usage method
You should take consultation with an expert to learn how to safely use the oils and what to do if you experience any side effects.
What are the different types of aromatherapy?
There are usually three different types of aromatherapy that have been mentioned below.
- Aromatherapy uses only the Fragrance or Sense of Smell or Olfaction
- Cosmetic Aromatherapy
- Aromatherapy using Massage or Topical Application
How to use aromatherapy essential oil?
Essential oils are extracted from the natural plant leaves, flowers and stems which are highly concentrated.
The most common way through which you can use essential oil to get their amazing fragrance and therapeutic properties are to directly inhale them. Also, they can be used in diffusers and humidifiers and can be diluted with a carrier oil and applied as a lotion on the skin. Let us look at some of its benefits.
Benefits of essential oil aromatherapy
There are known to be a very wide range of benefits of using essential oils in aromatherapy to heal the body at the physical, mental and spiritual levels. Here we have provided a list of the benefits you will get after using the essential oils.
- Helps in managing the pain
- Improves the quality of your sleep
- Helps to manage stress and anxiety
- Helpful in treating headaches and migraines
- Boost immunity system
- Improved digestion
- Helps to reduce the discomfort level of labor
- Herbs improving the side effects of chemotherapy
- Known to fight bacteria virus and fungus infection
- Helps in treating the chronic pain
- Improves the sore joints
After understanding the benefits of aromatherapy, Let us move on to the most demanding question.
Which aromatherapy essential oil does what?
Did you know that there are more than ninety types of essential oils present that have their pregnancies and potent health benefits?
Here we have provided a list of popular essential oils and the health benefits they are known to provide.
- Peppermint – It is considered one of the most potent essential oils and is used to improve all respiratory functions and help individuals to relieve sinus congestion. It is also known to help with digestive problems. The sensual oil has stimulating fragments which help to relieve nausea and help in improving the functions of the brain.
- Levander – The lavender essential oil has sedative properties which make it very useful to calm the nerves of individuals on both emotional and physical levels. It helps with minor skin injuries, cramping and sinus congestion. It is also known to help with nausea, headache and inability to sleep at night due to its calming properties.
- Orange – The essential oil is known to reduce the stress and anxiety level of the individual by helping to suit your nervous system. It also helps in promoting the healthy flow of the lymphatic system of your body. But you should be very careful while using this essential oil because it is a citrus oil and can cause burns in sunlight.
- Lemon – The essential oil is used by different people to give a boost to their immunity, for proper circulation of their body and to maintain a healthy flow of the lymphatic system. The oil is known to have antibacterial and antiviral benefits which make it very useful in giving treatment to skin conditions like bug bites and pimples. You should also be very careful while using this essential oil because it can also burn your skin when exposed to sunlight like the orange essential oil.
- Tea tree – The sensual all is known to have a very potent medicinal fragrance. It is used in skincare because of its properties to fight acne, nail fungus and warts.
How do I choose aromatherapy oils for myself?
If you are thinking of starting aromatherapy and want to choose a sensual oil for yourself but were confused then you have landed in the right place. Here we have provided you with a guide to choosing aromatherapy oil for yourself.
- Benefits you want to cultivate – The first and the most important step in choosing the essential oil is to know what benefits you want to get from the oils. Do you want to elevate your mood or do you need to treat a burn? You have to make a list of what benefits you want to get from the oil and then choose the right oil which provides all the benefits you want.
- Taking help from an aromatherapy book – After making a list of the benefits you want to cultivate from up essential you can take help from any good book to choose your oil.
- Visiting an expert – The best way to choose aromatherapy oils for yourself is to take a consultation with an expert in the field.